NHS sponsors coat drive

More stories from Doe Mai Na

More stories from Eh Bway Paw

Because the National Honor Society students wanted to do something positive for their community, the coat drive for Safe Place came into place four years ago. Science teacher and NHS adviser Heather Funderburg said to bring the coats and any other garments that students feel the need to bring to her room (225). The coat drive will end on Feb. 1.

Students can bring anything that is considered warm like fleeces, hoodies, jackets, coats, and other warm items.

“This year is kind of the first year that I been “oh yeah” bring hoodies,beanies, scarves and gloves,” Funderburg said. “Bring whatever warm stuff you have, it will work.”

Funderburg said that the items can be both new and old as long as it does not put a financial burden on the students.

“I try and do something that doesn’t need money and that you can just find,” Funderburg said.

While many do not participate at the beginning of the coat drive, as the due date creeps closer, Funderburg’s room would be packed with warm items brought by students.

“So far I have about four people bring items,” Funderburg said. “But I think it’s because people always wait until the end, so as it gets closer to the end, then there will be more people bringing it.”

The drive is a way to help the community.

“What I like is that it goes back to our community,” Funderburg said. “Somethings we do don’t go directly to Dumas, but this goes directly to Dumas and Cactus.”