UIL department to host homecoming street dance

After the homecoming game ends, a street dance, hosted by the UIL Academic program will be held on 7th Street between Main Street and Porter until midnight on Friday. 

The entry is $5 for person. However, if the students have purchased a “Our House” shirt, they can wear it to the dance for a free admission. 

Fun activities are available for students to participate in along with the dance.

Glow in the dark face painting and glow in the dark bracelets will be available to buy,” UIL head coach Pamela Wood said. “Of course, dancing will be the main activity!”

The weather is nice outside and doing [the dance] out in the street sounds like fun!”

— Pamela Wood, UIL headcoach

There will be a variety of food and music accessible to students. Of course, students are also expected to wear school appropriate clothing. 

“There will be water and snacks,” Wood said. “The music will be a mixture of [different] types, [and also] wear your clothes that you wear to the game – mostly I expect to see jeans and T-shirts.”

Students who have heard about the dance believed that it will be a nice way to spice up the fun. 

“It’s a cool idea,” junior Mariaesleisy Borunda said. “Since there has never before been [a street dance] founded by the school. I think it’ll be fun since it’s after the game and people are [still] pumped [from the adrenaline].”

Junior Alexa Chacon said that it was interesting to see a new extra activity added to the already high spirited school. 

I’m hoping they keep this street dance for the coming years so that other classes can enjoy the fun of it.” Chacon said. 

Not only that, by having the UIL department host the dance, the UIL students are able to get new materials for their competitions against other schools. 

I think it’s a great to involve students and bring them together while having fun, but kids can be rather stupid… we must be very careful about keeping students safe!”

— Erin Davis, 11

“We will be able to buy more practice materials and send students to summer camps in their UIL events,” Wood said. 

Although many students agreed that it will be a fun activity, some have expressed their worries about the safety of students as well as the possibility of students doing something they shouldn’t.

I think it’s a great to involve students and bring them together while having fun, “ junior Erin Davis said. “But kids can be rather stupid… we must be very careful about keeping students safe!”

While the homecoming street dance isn’t a secret, not many students are aware that the UIL department is hosting one. 

From what I’ve heard though, a lot of people aren’t really aware of the street dance since people really don’t check their emails.” Chacon said. “I think it’d be better if they promoted the dance in a way where everybody knew and maybe more students would be aware and thus make plans to attend.”

It is recommended that students should bring additional money in case they plan on buying other items that will be sold at the dance. In addition to that, if students are interested in the “Our House” shirts, Wood said that she will be doing a reorder next week.