Getting ready for prom: girls edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting ready for prom: girls edition

Mia Guevara, Oshiana Trevizo, Maddie Fox, and Macy Palmer at Prom 2018

Harlee Dobbins, Staff Writer

It takes a lot of work and time to find the perfect dress, perfect hairstyle, perfect shoes, and perfect nails. Girls start planning with quite a bit of  time in advance.

Some girls start planning with several months ahead of prom, buying their dresses, shoes, and corsages. They also start looking at how they want their hair to look and the nail color they want to choose so that their dates can get their suit to match their colors.

“I decided I was going in February and started planning in March and I just got my dress,” junior Felicia Montoya said.

As where other girls can find there dresses very quickly and only take a couple of months getting prepared and getting their dates the correct colors.

“Last year I started planning probably around about two months before prom,” junior Maddie Fox said.

Girls start looking for and finding people to do their hair and makeup through families and friends or just talent.

“I did my own makeup and my friend did my hair because she offered to do it,” Fox said.

Friends really help out with getting ready for girls who are going for their first time.

“My friend Marie said, “Hey want my friend to do your makeup?” and then we looked at pictures to help find the perfect look,” Montoya said.

Certain apps really help girls find inspiration for their hair, nails, makeup looks, dresses, and etc.

“I found my inspiration for prom from Pinterest,” Fox said.

Other girls will use stores and other online resources to find the perfect look.

“I decided what color dress I wanted and then just looked online and mixed tops with bottoms and then I actually went into Dillards and found the perfect dress I had imagined,” Montoya said. “I then found my inspiration for my nails when I just looked at google.”

Girls start getting excited to have interaction with students they’ve never met before.

“l’m excited to spend time with my friends;  I feel like it gives me the opportunity to make new friends,” Montoya said.