Athletic Trainers

Meghan Hobbs, staff writer

According to the National Athletic Training Association, athletic training encompasses the prevention, examination, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of emergent, acute or chronic injuries and medical conditions. Athletic training is recognized by the American Medical Association (AMA), Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as an allied health care profession.

“An Athletic Trainer is a healthcare professional that specializes in different domains: injury prevention, clinical evaluation and diagnosis, immediate care, treatment, rehabilitation and reconditioning, organization and administration, and profession responsibility of sports injuries.” Dumas High School head athletic trainer, Summer Roark said.

Being an Athletic Trainer is a job taken very seriously at Dumas High School. Every trainer is required to have multiple certifications.

“We are required to have CPR/AED certifications,” Roark said, “We also have certifications in first aid, concussions, advance emergency procedures, weight/hydration assessment, and many others.”

Every Athletic Trainer at Dumas High School has been trained to handle situations to the very best of their ability on the field and in the gym.

“While I am at the games my job is to watch and look out for any athlete who is playing that has been hit with a ball or has been hurt in anyway,” Senior Eliza Vera said. “While I am in the training rooms, my job is to give help to anyone who comes in.”

Junior Charles Barnes has been playing football, wrestling, and track for five years. With being in multiple sports there is a greater risk factor for injury.

“I don’t go to the trainers often but when I do they wrap me and tell me how to treat it. I think the trainers are doing their job and they’re useful,” Barnes said.
Student trainers are important in every sport because every sport has the potential for minor and severe injuries.  Students who have been injured previously need to be monitored and having student trainers readily available helps the athletes.

“All sports need an Athletic Trainer!” Roark said, “You never know what could happen or when.  Coverage of the sports is usually based on their risk factor, especially if there is a limit on the amount of Athletic Trainers available.  Risk factors are greater in sports like football or soccer compared to golf or tennis.  Although tennis and golf do have injuries, they are less likely to be life threatening. ”

Though injuries could be substantially more tragic in sports such as football and soccer, every sport has  access to a student athletic trainer. If there is an injury, the athletic trainer is not far away.

“My favorite has to be…football because of the atmosphere that surrounds it, it’s crazy fun,” Vera said.

Even though the student section is always on their toes, the athletic trainers have to be alert and aware of their surroundings.

“It was difficult at first because I had to learn where everything was, where to put everything, and how to tape wrists and ankles. There is a lot that comes with being an athletic trainer, but I tried my hardest to learn everything Summer has taught us,” Vera said.
Being an Athletic Trainer is a tremendous honor, learning new skills and techniques that can further a person’s education of health care of an athlete. Some athletic trainers go on to have a career in the medical field.
“I started athletic training last year, my junior year. I wish I could’ve started my freshman year though,” Vera said.