Left on “read”

Doe Mai Na and Eh Bway Paw

One second bleeds into two and two bleeds into three. All of a sudden it’s already been an hour since the text was sent. It slowly and agonizingly becomes an hour and from an hour into two and from two hours into a full blown day. During those agonizing hours, the object clutched between the person’s fingers hasn’t been let go as they start getting angry.

However their eyes still wonder onto the screen of their phone. Looking to find a reply to their previous statements that they have so painstakingly given to the other person. Their eyes land on that one word once again “read” but no reply.

Anger, despair, understanding, and confusion is how one feels about being left on “read”. A survey conducted by two students from the Journalism class reveals how students in the school feel about this particular topic.

The notion of being left on “read” has caused distress and anger over the subject. Teens of this generation are almost always glued to their phones, which means that they feel a sort of entitlement or expectation to receive an answer when they text other people. This makes them impatient and unable to to comprehend why they are sometimes left on “read”.

Students were asked about what their definition of being left on “read” means.

Being “left on read” is sending someone a message, them reading it, and not responding for whatever their reason may be,” senior Brynne Winkleman said.

Many students replied a positive answer when they were asked whether being left on read should be something to be offended about.

There are times that you could be offended by it, but I personally don’t think that it is a big deal unless you are have a serious conversation,” Winkleman said.

However, many students and administrations finds being left on “read” isn’t  necessarily offensive if the conversation does not pertain any sort of importance, but if it did, then the other party has the right to feel aggrieved.

“If it is random or unsolicited then the person shouldn’t be offended necessarily,” world geography teacher, Nathaniel Shaffer said. “However, if it is within a somewhat personal conversation then I think it’s understandable.”

Even when the conversation contains no important information, it seems that teenagers easily get upset over it. The students and teachers alike expressed their opinion on the possible explanations of this occurrence.

“I think because so much of teenage communication is done via Whatsapp, Snapchat, etc. that when a message is left on read, it is comparable to someone walking away mid-sentence in a face-to-face conversation,” Shaffer said.

While being left on “read” seems to hold a sort of importance for teens, it is recommended that talking about crucial topics should be done in person. Plus, it seems like older people understands that sometimes people cannot help not replying to messages.

“I think older people understand that people are busy and don’t feel obligated to reply to every single message they receive,” Shaffer said. “If it is important enough to demand a reply, say it in person.”