Chasing Dreams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chasing Dreams

Eveline Rivero, Staff Writer

Meagan Trujillo is a senior at Dumas High School. She has attended DISD since Pre-K, where she began at Hillcrest Elementary, continued through Dumas Intermediate, Dumas Junior High and is concluding at Dumas High School.

As of now, Trujillo’s future plans include attending college to pursue oncology to encourage and give confidence for those who are defeating cancer and fighting their fights.

“I’m going to go to Amarillo College, then transfer to Texas Tech and major in pre-nursing,” Trujillo said.

Although, that is not where she will conclude her journey.

“I plan to get my degree in nursing and get my Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I want to work with people battling cancer,” Trujillo said.

Trujillo said she has always had a passion for her community, where she enjoys assisting others, and making sure everyone is doing okay.

“I am the Student Body President of Dumas High School, I am in NHS, and I am in Yearbook. I was on the varsity volleyball team, and am currently on the varsity softball team,” Trujillo said. “During my four years of high school, I’ve spent hours dedicating my time to community service.” 

Trujillo said she has always been a fan of seeing others succeed, and even when people doubt her, instead of doubting them, she prays for them and for their success.

“I’ve always wanted to help others, or spend the rest of my life helping other people,” Trujillo said. “I’ve always wanted to be the helping hand,” 

Trujillo was unsure of what she wanted to do after high school, she knew she wanted to do some type of nursing, but did not know exactly what kind. Kaitlyn DeLeon, a 10-year-old girl who passed after battling cancer, was the reason that steered Trujillo towards oncology. 

“Whenever I met Kaitlyn I knew that oncology was something I was interested in,” Trujillo said.

Although shortly after, Trujillo was still unsure of what she wanted to pursue, but then she was given news that would secured she wanted to work with patients battling cancer. Afterwards, Meagan had decided to pursue a career in oncology, which is a nurse who manages a person’s care and treatment once they are diagnosed with cancer.

“Whenever Coach Murga was diagnosed with cancer, I knew for sure that I wanted to be a nurse that works in oncology, and I did not have one doubt of it.” Trujillo said.

Trujillo began organizing events to help out Coach Murga and his family.

“I put on the Wheelchair Basketball Tournament here at Dumas High School for Coach Murga.” Trujillo said.

She said she always looks up to those who push others past their limits, and that is one reason why she looked up to Coach Murga.

“Coach Murga has played a big role in my high school years, I always spend my days in class talking about my future plans and what I was going to do after high school, and now I have decided to help those battling a fight that can be beaten.” Trujillo said.